7/18/14

You've got one, I've got one, we've all got one.

On any given day, you might find me wearing a t-shirt with one of my own designs on it that says, "Yes, I AM working on another book." The whole purpose was to simply give a humorous spin on the fact that people are constantly asking me if I'm still writing or still working on a book. I'm a writer. It's what I do. So to be quite honest, it's a funny question to me.

The truth of the matter is I've always got more than one project going - writing or otherwise. I've got craft projects, graphic designs in the making, my website upkeep, these blog posts, and a constant plethora of ideas for book plots... all of them running through my mind all the time. ALL the time. I blame my sometimes-forgetfulness on the fact that my brain is just too busy to remember the smaller, less important things. Like lunch. Or my wallet. Or my chiropractor appointments. I've got sticky notes all over the place, and somehow I even miss those. Oooh, pretty yellow! I wonder how long that note will stay stuck to my computer. I haven't the foggiest what it means, but it sure makes me look productive!

The other day, while sorting through an old crate of papers and who knows what else, I found these:

Each one is a manuscript of a book I have yet to finish. Some are a part of a series I wrote years ago. Some are stand-alone novels. I'd even forgotten about one of them! Yet when looking through the pages, I still remembered the characters, the plots, and where I'd wanted the storylines to head. I never completed them for whatever reason (I might someday) but those plots are still running through my brain. No wonder I'm running out of room!

Last week, I had to go over Taekwondo material because I was going to help fill in for another instructor one evening. I'd been through some of those moves about two years ago...but after a few tries, my body remembered what it was supposed to do. And I learned more on top of that!

I had the radio turned up nice and loud this morning on the way in to work, and realized just how many lyrics, melodies and voices I recognized. I could sing along with songs, or even recognize who the artist was. (While still paying attention to driving safely, mind you.)

More often than not, my mind is going a bazillion miles per hour in just as many directions. Not everybody's brain works that way, and I'm not trying to boast about all the things I do, but no matter what kind of mind you have and what your tendencies or traits are...God has given us all incredible brains! We can think about and do and perform and remember countless images, smells, feelings, sounds, stories, songs, faces, names, relationships, events...the list goes on and on and on. And it never stops, til the day we die.

Science has proven most of us only use a small percentage of our brains' capabilities. And to tell you the truth, I'm kind of glad. I can't imagine having an even more active brain than I already do.

Happy Friday, and don't forget to feed your brain something healthy this weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment