7/9/14

Tasty Memories

Goldfish and I have a pretty good relationship. (I'm talking about the Pepperidge Farm crackers, not the actual fish, mind you.) I've been eating them for as long as I can remember. First, I've always loved cheese, and second, I've always loved a good salty/crunchy snack.

As I broke into a bag of Goldfish today, it made me think of how something as simple as a taste could bring back memories. Where was I, as a child, eating this same snack? Sunday School? VBS? At home for a special treat? It wasn't every day that I got Goldfish, so even now, when I can go out and buy them any time I want, my emotions still deem them a special food meant for special occasion. Granted, the "special" in "special occasion" has become a game of justification. It's 9:55am! That's a special number! Or it's the third of the month AND a Thursday. That's special since it doesn't happen every month. Regardless of my excuse though, Goldfish remains a favorite and special snack.

Probably, though, my most vivid memory connected with taste is when consuming Skittles or grape soda pop. Mmm. Even when typing this, my mouth is starting to water. Those two things really make a bad combo as far as sugar consumption, however, those were my usual choices when allowed to get a treat while at camp. I was pretty young, but I still remember the chewy goodness of the Skittles. The cold can in my hand and the scent of grape that hit my nostrils even before I'd taken a sip. And it went down oh-so smoothly. Today, any time I eat Skittles or splurge on grape soda pop (or dare the combination), my first thought is of camp. It's accompanied by pleasant emotions, since I enjoyed that experience.

Of course, there are negative emotions that can be connected to tastes as well. Food that has a similar taste to certain medicines will turn off many eaters, even if they're not usually picky, since the emotions connected with that flavor are negative. Or if someone ever got sick while eating a particular food (even if it wasn't caused by the food), the taste can forever turn them off.

Our minds and senses are only a few of the incredibly amazing things we've been given. It's fun to recognize their presence so they can be enjoyed all the more.

(Yes, I often tear bags down the side instead of splitting the top...)

Do you have a favorite snack that's more about the memories than the flavors? Or a snack that's kept for "special" occasions?


No comments:

Post a Comment