7/5/14

Fireworks, Fireflies and Frimily

As my head followed the path of sparkling smoke and my eyes stared up at the black sky to watch color burst forth in all directions, I had to chuckle. Here I was with a group of other people, totally entertained by this simple backyard lightshow. Once I thought about it, I did find it rather amusing. I mean, I laugh at my cat when she’s so entertained by a little laser light, but here I was, just as enthusiastic about these loud (and some people would deem obnoxious) fireworks.

Then again…I’m not convinced it was actually the fireworks themselves that I found so appealing.

Sitting on the picnic table, I was surrounded by my frimily (my newly made-up and newly favorite word to describe friends who are more like family). Overhead were several bats flitting about, having a feast on insects that were drawn to the yard lights. Fireflies glowed all around, silently floating on the night air. Children giggled and clapped with each eruption of rainbow-colored fire. Laughter rolled from one conversation to the next, never ceasing. Enthusiastic shouts accompanied particularly favorite fireworks, and competitions broke out with predictions of which colors would come next.

My eyes loved each bright firework, overwhelmed by the simple beauty. But my heart…it loved the fellowship.

The food was great. But who I was sitting next to was even better. The cool summer breeze felt oh-so good. But learning of childhood shenanigans like squishing fireflies on the pavement (or on each other) to create glowing smudges was even better. The watermelon was delicious! But laughing over silly things like chairs that wouldn’t let go of their prey, or human lint rollers was even better.

The celebration of America and her independence is, indeed, a worthy cause to celebrate. But were it not for my frimily, there would be little joy to fuel much enthusiasm.

No comments:

Post a Comment