7/7/14

Soapbox: What happened to courtesy and respect?

Honestly, courtesy and respect is what it comes down to. Or lack thereof. But I'm afraid our society is too full of too many people who can't see past themselves to expect anything else.

This is an ongoing thing with me. I won't say pet peeve, because it's more than that. I'm actually angered by the way people behave towards others. Then again, it's no surprise.

I'm most often faced with this issue when going shopping or driving. Those seem to be the two locations where people most become so self-absorbed they only know their route, their time frame, their needs, and quite frankly, no one else matters. I am constantly amazed when, at the grocery or retail store, other shoppers seem to either think they are the only ones that matter, or they don't even see me at all. Sometimes I think it's both. Hello...the aisle is purposely made wide enough for two carts. But that's okay. Take your time. I'll just stand here and wait until you miraculously see me here, then bounce your eyes so you can pretend I don't exist and avoid any of those nasty urges to actually move six inches to the side and allow me to pass. Really...I'm fine waiting here, because...well...I did see you and I put your needs before mine. 

I'm not saying I'm perfect, but I do consciously make an effort to let others go first at those store aisle intersections, let people know they're fine when they do apologize (miracle of miracles) for being in the way, and if I see someone needs something my cart is blocking, I do my best to move. I'm sure I screw up too - I'm not the most manner-filled person in the world, but any efforts on my part do seem to be, do I dare say it...becoming old-fashioned.

Just this morning while driving on the highway, I got stuck in a line of slow-moving traffic due to some construction. Once we were allowed to get up to speed again, several cars, including mine, were trying to escape a couple semis. But, being tailgated, I opted for the creeper lane. Of course...once I got out of the way and let two cars go by, there was a pickup who was bound and determined to get ahead of me. It didn't matter that my blinker was on and I was already coming back over into the main lane again. Had I continued my properly-executed course, he would have sideswiped me. Obviously, the wise choice was for me to get back into the creeper lane until he'd gotten around me (and saved his precious 50 seconds), and even then, I had to make it a quick move before more cars tried to cut me off.

Really? I wasn't even going slowly! Yet every driver I see on that road seems to believe they are the only ones that matter. Today's incident was a normal occurrence. It's their schedule. Their road. Their priorities. I find pleasure in catching up with those speed demons later down the road, proving (if only to myself, since they're obviously blind) their maniac methods really get them nowhere faster.

Apparently, people today find their source of power by being able to push others around, or, at the very least, ignore them. In reality though, all it does is make them look like the fools, for it's quite apparent that they have purposely left behind values such as courtesy and respect. If those same shoppers and drivers would simply open their eyes and look just two feet beyond themselves, not only would there be more peaceful shopping markets and highways, but they might find the confidence to apply that same courtesy and respect more often.

The video below is one I recently saw on Facebook. It's actually a Thai commercial for life insurance, but the concept is a beautiful one. I know that I at least try to look past myself because it's the right thing to do. It's what God wants me to do. But even for non-believers, the concept of giving should not be that hard.



No comments:

Post a Comment