7/25/14

I'm Loud

I was told yesterday in one of my martial arts classes that I'm loud. Granted, this individual meant it as a compliment, as she has to work hard at speaking up loudly when leading a class. I laughed, of course, but it did make me stop and think. Maybe I've just had a lot of practice trying to help others understand me clearly, but I usually blame my volume on the tone of my voice. I believe it just happens to be the right kind of tone that carries well. When at work, if I get even a little excited over something, others at the far end of the building can hear me. (Which is quite a feat, seeing as though I have several deaf coworkers.)


I talk loudly. I laugh loudly. Thankfully, I'm generally surrounded by people who don't mind a bit. They love me whether I'm shattering glass with sound waves or not. Not everybody appreciates loud volume though. And in these instances, actions are more important than words.

I try to act just as loudly as I speak. It isn't always easy, but I act much more loudly than I used to. And my reason is simple. I don't want anyone to question who I am or what I believe. I can talk, scream, yell or blow a whistle as loudly as I want about whatever topic or issue I want, but when it really comes down to it, those around me will be covering their ears and paying attention with their eyes instead. I may be boisterous, but do I really have passion? Do I have the guts to act on what I proclaim? Am I praising loudly with my voice, but lending no support? Am I complaining at the top of my lungs, but taking no action? I hope that's not the case.

To state the obvious cliché, "actions speak louder than words." I guess that means if I've got a loud voice, my actions are gonna be really loud. And I'm okay with that...as long as my actions are something I'm not ashamed of. I've got to be aware of who likes to listen to me, and who would rather watch me instead of hurting their ears. I've got to be willing to not only say, "This is who I am," but act like the person I am. And when that happens, I won't have to say anything. Which will save my vocal cords, and listening ears.

My goal is to live loud and live real. (There is a time and place for quietness. But even quiet actions speak volumes.) Besides...living quietly isn't nearly as much fun as being so obnoxiously loud that the enthusiasm becomes contagious. And who doesn't want to spread a joyful, excited, energetic contagion?

No comments:

Post a Comment