7/22/14

Smashed Fingers, Paper Jams and Wet Pants

My day didn't start out well. Actually, I was fine until I was attacked by a door. Being a ninja, you'd think I would have seen it coming, but in my defense, it was dark. There didn't seem to be a need to flip on the light when I was only going to be in there a few seconds. But that was before I was viciously attacked. Apparently the door didn't want to be closed. Oh, but I got it closed, alright. I may have sacrificed my finger, but that door is closed!

Not long after that, this was my view:


This is an angle of the production-line copy machine where I work...from the floor...where I got to spend a lot of time while removing paper jams from all sorts of nooks and crannies. (We don't call it Beelzebub for nothing.) Torn papers, toner all over my hands, and phantom pages. In between that was a bout of forgetfulness, trying to beat the clock and basically feeling like a chicken with its head cut off - although less painful, I'm sure.


I wish that eraser really would fix all the problems. Erase the bad. Wipe the slate clean. Start over. Get those little pink shavings all over the floor. Unfortunately, no matter how hard I try, I don't think jamming the eraser into the copy machine will actually fix anything. Bummer.

Amidst it all though, I found myself laughing along with my office buddy. It was either that or be depressed, and being depressed is never fun. Of course, it helped when humor lent itself without effort. Like a door on the copy machine opening itself whenever it pleased - really. Or being so befuddled that speech became a real gibberish hazard - albeit hilarious.

Here's the best part of the day though...
I'm very blessed to work in a place where I'm allowed to use the laundry appliances, since I have none of my own. Today was one of those days when I brought a load of dirty laundry to wash. But I don't like putting my workout pants through the dryer, so I usually separate them and put them in my office to air-dry. Sometimes I drape them over the back of my chair. I didn't know my office buddy was going to need my computer this morning.

Imagine me standing in my office doorway as she looked up from my desk (where she'd been sitting for several minutes already...on my clean pants...) with an expression of shock on her face. "Your pants are wet!" Thankfully, I realized she meant the pants I'd taken from the wash, not the pants I was actually wearing. I probably blinked. There may have been a moment of shocked silence. All I'm really sure about is when she realized the implications of her words, our laughter was probably heard all the way at the other end of the building.

After everything the morning threw my way, I'm glad I can still smile, still laugh, and still praise the Lord for another day to be alive...wet pants and all.

Ahh...Tuesdays. Sometimes they beat Mondays. This one did a good job. I think tomorrow I'll bring a flashlight for the naughty door, a sledgehammer to threaten the copy machine, and a caution sign for my laundry room/office.

No comments:

Post a Comment