8/4/14

That Place in My Soul

Remedy Drive. I thought I knew the name of the band from the radio, perhaps, but that was about all I knew. Friends were going to see them perform at a Faith and Family Night at a county fair not too far away, so that really was my motivation for going, more than the music. Of course, before going, I hit the Internet and looked up Remedy Drive on Youtube so I'd at least have an idea of what I was getting into. I liked what I heard, and figured the concert would probably be pretty good.

After seeing Remedy Drive in person, if I were asked to use only one word to describe them, I would use "passion." Wow. Much of that passion came from Dave Zach, the lead vocalist. I'd been watching him for quite a while already, as his brother was the lead for another band, Arrows and Sound. Dave had energy even when he wasn't performing. He helped Arrows and Sound set up, watched from the sidelines with his phone (he seemed to be taking pictures or videos), came onstage for a special part in one of the songs, and hung out nearby, totally enthralled with watching. I don't know what was going through his mind, but his body language suggested he enjoyed watching his brother on stage as much as he enjoyed performing. Later, his brother in Arrows and Sound barely made it through thanking Dave for being there and supporting him because he was so emotional. I felt the brotherly love was real and not just a show.

When Remedy Drive finally took the stage, it was pure energy. It was loud, and it was fun. Enthusiasm and passion overflowed from the stage and into the audience. Even after a handstand on the keyboard, jumping up onto the drum set and leaping off, Dave kept going. I was impressed with his stamina. And his message. He spoke of the mission of his heart - to chip away at child trafficking and slavery. He admitted that it wouldn't be abolished completely, but that it could be chipped away at little by little, offering hope and freedom to the oppressed. As he spoke, again, it was passion that I saw and felt.

During one song, I found myself closing my eyes and allowing my soul to be enveloped by the sheer wall of sound. It was loud. Loud enough to drown out the world. Loud enough I could feel the bass reverberating in my chest. I felt myself in a place I didn't want to leave, where nothing around me existed anymore. Even amidst that deafening bombardment of noise, there was peace. I found myself in a place I should find more often, within a world full of noise. Perhaps it is not noise to my ears, but noise to my soul. The devastation. Hurt. Hunger. Need. Chaos.

In my soul is the only One who can give me that calm. That peace. That place where only I can go to escape, rest, and accept that free gift of sanctuary. It's there because He loves me, and because my life is in His hands. Without it, without Him, I would never survive the noise of the world.

The concert was fun, made possible by good music, fantastic lemonade, great friends and soul-soothing sounds. Not getting nearly enough sleep last night after a long drive home was well worth it.



No comments:

Post a Comment