8/11/14

Grand Ol Parking Lot

Funny how perspectives change.

The house I grew up in had a nice, big yard (at least it seemed big to me at the time), that was bumped up right against the parking lot of our local grocery store. This created some definite pros and cons, although the pros were probably more aimed towards my brothers and me (being kids).

One main con was, of course, traffic. Although being in a small town, apart from a few crazy drivers, it wasn’t bad. The lights in the parking lot were sometimes annoying, and our yard would gather bits of trash from litterbugs. Oh, but the pros…

Did you know lit-up parking lots at night are the best kind of rollerblading rink? (I won’t mention the one time a car caught me by surprise… God had His eye on me.) Fun times. Another great thing is that during the winter, the grocery store’s snow had to be piled up somewhere. And being in New York, we got quite a bit of that white stuff. Guess where they piled it? Right along the back edge of our yard. Instant snow hill/fortress.  It was usually too steep for sledding, but that didn’t stop us from sliding down on our bottoms.

When my brother and I were old enough, the grocery store was one of the first places we were allowed to go alone, since it was so close to the house. What a thrill that was! And of course, the distance between the store and home was so short that precious groceries, like cranberry sherbet, didn’t have time to melt before we could eat them. Did I mention there was a video store adjoining the grocery store? Another fun spot to go and pick out that night’s movie rental.

If I were to purchase a house today, one place I would not look would be directly behind a grocery store. I’d see all the cons and would steer clear. Or perhaps…I’d let my inner child come out and I’d see all the grand possibilities. Sliding down a mountain of snow on my bottom does have appeal…


I love hearing from you. Feel free to leave a comment with your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment