8/22/14

Some Days...

On Facebook yesterday, I said that some days are like trying to put on a shirt elbow-first. And to be completely honest, yes, I was speaking from experience. Both the experience of an awkward day, and the experience of literally stuffing my elbow through my t-shirt sleeve, only to find my arm stuck in that awkward position and threatening to cramp. It's a good thing I've got short arms, otherwise I may have needed the assistance of someone else, and would have had to show myself in public (looking like a flailing chicken in need of a medical squad).

Thankfully, I was able to pull my arm back through and stick my hand into the sleeve first, the second time around. No one knew how close I'd come to death by contortionism. Or embarrassment. The coroner probably wouldn't have been able to tell.

I've come to accept the fact (though I still get frustrated) that every so often, a day is going to end up just like the literal t-shirt experience. I get up in the morning, everything looks good, then something happens. Everything comes to a screeching halt, and I can't accomplish what I wanted (or at least not as quickly as I wanted). Eventually, something gives. Either I take a step back, reevaluate and go at it from a different angle, I tear through the obstacle like a flailing chicken (and either accomplish the task or simply ruin the virtual shirt), or I risk the shame of my uncomfortable position and ask for help.

In the end, how I react is up to me, and the consequences of my approach should be weighed. Do I really want to ruin the virtual shirt? Maybe there's a reason the obstacle is there. Asking for help really isn't shameful. Simply slowing down and rethinking might solve things. Getting frustrated and flustered only makes things worse - virtually or literally.

The answer on how to get around, through, or over obstacles vary, but if we'd slow down and take time to actually look at any situation, we'd probably be surprised at the possibilities presented. And...the lives of some t-shirts (or flailing chickens) might be saved. I've never seen anyone harmed by slowing down and taking a deep breath before going on.

Have a blessed weekend. And if you get your elbow stuck in your shirt sleeve, please manage a selfie before straightening it out.


I love hearing from you! Feel free to leave a comment with your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment