8/25/14

My Love/Hate Relationship

I hate working out. Actually, I love it. No...I think I really hate it. Well, maybe it's both, once I think about it.

Twice a week, I participate in a Warrior X-Fit kickboxing class. We get to punch and kick the punching bags in all sorts of different ways, and we're put through some incredibly outrageous no-one-in-their-right-mind-would-do-these exercises. It's a great calorie burning, fat busting, muscle building workout that lasts about 45 minutes. Each time I go to class, about 30 minutes in, I'm pretty sure I'm going to die right there on the mat in a puddle of my own sweat. Somehow I usually manage to pull through with sheer willpower, and a bit of competitiveness (I can't allow myself to quit if the person next to me is still going strong!)

As much as my body hates this routine, I have to admit, I've become much more fit. I've lost fat, gained muscle and increased my overall stamina. The class incorporates a ranking system, and I'm up to blue belt (the 7th level), which means the workouts are a lot more intense than they were when I started out, but black belt (the 10th level) is still my goal. Even though I just about die every week, I've been reaping the benefits of long-term endurance.


What I hate more than a physical workout is a spiritual one. And what I probably hate even more than that is the reminder, "trials make you stronger." I hate hearing that. I don't want to hear it. I don't want to admit whatever I suffer may have a benefit at the end, because I'd much rather sit and wallow in my misery, because it's oh so much fun in that dark little hole of mine.

(Sigh)

As I start my week on this dreaded Warrior X-Fit Monday, no matter what my body or my mind is complaining about, I know that Tuesday is tomorrow, then Wednesday, and the week isn't going to stop. It's going to keep going, and so am I. And as much a I don't want to admit it, all the little things I'm going to deal with this week, whether at home or work, are, in the end, going to make me spiritually stronger if I let them. I'm going to gain a little more patience, a little more understanding and probably a little more humility. And some of it will probably hurt, and I'll probably whine a bit before realizing that does no good. Just like I keep going at my kickboxing workout even when my muscles are burning and I'm pretty sure I'm going to pass out any second, I've got to keep going in life.

For me, I've got a stronghold that keeps me going, even when I'm weak. His name is Jesus. If you don't have Him as a stronghold, I recommend you do, since it makes life so much more bearable, even during the toughest times, and the rewards far outweigh the discomfort.

So yeah, as much as I hate the whole "trials make you stronger" thing...even I have to acknowledge the truth in it. Every time I stretch a resistance band and sweat pours down my face, I'm getting stronger. And every time my spirit is faced with opposition (and I don't give up), I'm getting stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment