6/26/14

Soggy Socks and Rainbows

It was worth it. The walk, I mean. I waited for the thunder to pass, and ventured outside while the rain was still pouring down. I knew I only had a few minutes left before the storm would turn into light sprinkles, and I didn’t want to miss it. While others might scurry for shelter or cover their heads as they aimed indoors, I was headed out, without jacket or umbrella.

My senses were overwhelmed with the simple beauty of the passing rainstorm. The sun was just starting to shine again, creating a surreal atmosphere of light and wetness. Coolness and warm humidity. Birds sang excitedly above my head. The sound of rain coming down through the trees sent a peace to my heart. The smell of damp air invigorated my soul.

As I sloshed through another puddle, I realized the water was beginning to penetrate my shoes, and my socks were getting a bit soggy. I wasn’t quite soaked from head to toe, but my t-shirt and jeans were starting to cling to my skin. And as I walked casually down the sidewalk, I had to wonder if anyone was watching, and if they might think me rather odd for deciding ten minutes before the end of the storm to go for my mail at the Post Office.

But it was worth it. As I neared my destination, I was rewarded yet again with the sight of a rainbow. Its colors beamed vividly against the gray rain clouds as it arched across the sky. And with it was its twin, though not as bright. The only thing better than a rainbow is a double rainbow.

Despite my damp shirt, soggy socks, and my cat trying to groom my wet hair after I got home, my brief adventure in the rain was one of sheer enjoyment. Next time I might even head out a few minutes earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment