6/18/14

Fancy Footwork of a Prideful Ninja

Never before have I been taught a lesson so literally. I was learning something new at my job that involved strapping mail trays to ensure the mail would not fall out during transit. I was also quite proud of myself for picking it up so easily and quickly. I felt so smart. I’d only seen my coworker do it once, and I was able to pull it off all by myself. Indeed, I was made for the job.

My mistake was actually verbalizing my pride. I actually told my office buddy how proud of myself I was, and that I thought it was rather impressive I was able to apply what I’d seen without any help at all. She (graciously) agreed I was “awesome.”

At that same moment, I turned and stepped toward a shelving unit. And tripped. Over the very coil of strapping I’d been working with – you know, the one I was so proud of using.

Now, please know that I didn’t fall on my face. I very gracefully skipped forward (the kind of maneuver that’s evidence of trying to cover up the fact that I just suddenly realized I’d lost all ability to walk correctly) and I didn’t even drop the tray of mail I was carrying. (I’m sure it was my ninja skills that saved me.)

I refrained from being too proud that I’d at least landed with half my dignity still in tact (the rest was lying on the floor in pieces, each one laughing at me). And, I will say that my fancy footwork did provide plenty of giggles. But really…I couldn’t believe how not only did “pride cometh before a fall” apply, but I literally acted out that very warning.

Thankfully, that all happened near the end of the workday, so I didn’t have to anticipate anymore embarrassing antics before heading home. Tomorrow though…I’ll be sure to keep my pride in check.




No comments:

Post a Comment