6/12/14

400 and Counting...

It seems everybody collects something. I'm not sure why we, as humans, are fascinated with certain things enough that we will fill cabinets, shoe boxes, shelves and drawers with items only a few others might actually appreciate. Even when the things collected might be of monetary value, how often are they never sold, simply to keep the collection intact and growing? That in itself is almost more fascinating than the actual items. 

While I have a variety of hobbies, when it comes to collecting, there’s really only one thing that I’ve gone all-out with, and that’s key chains. I love them. For as long as I can remember, I’ve always been intrigued with all the different kinds of mini trinkets hanging from key rings. Something about them just absorbs my interest. When I go on vacation, my first souvenir is almost always a key chain. Some of my favorite gifts? Key chains. In my purse, on my desk, in a box and in my car? Yeah. Key chains. So since I'm this obsessed, I thought I'd share part of my collection with you.

As far as I know, this was my very first key chain.


Not only is it special because it was my first, but it has a lot of sentimental value. I was very young – probably just five or six years old. I can remember sitting on my grandpa’s knee as we played this game, trying to get those little balls into the colored dips. All in blue, or one each in blue, red and yellow. I remember agreeing with him that blue was the hardest (though I don’t know how that’s possible). I’m sure he was better at the game than I was, but it was so much fun. My grandpa died when I was seven, so that’s probably one of the last memories I have of him, and it’s still precious to me.

Since then, my collection has grown to over 400. I have key chains from twenty-five different countries (thanks to missionary friends).


…and from thirty-one different states in the US (even if I haven’t been to all of them myself).



I have key chains that can come in handy, such as mini screwdrivers, scissors and more.



There are some that are in my “favorites” category, even if I’m the only one who knows where they came from.



I’ve got fun key chains that provide entertainment.



Some are cute novelty key chains. (Yes, Mr. Potato Head actually comes apart, and yes, the Etch A Sketch, Magnadoodle and yo-yo work, too.)



Still others are quite old – some of which I’m not sure just how old they are or even where they originally came from, but they’re still cool to me.



I’m not sure if I’ll ever stop adding to my collection…I doubt it. The only problem I have is finding a way to display everything. At the moment, most of my key chains reside in a box…a very full box...which will more than likely soon become two boxes. Of course, on certain days, it’s rather fun to dump it all out on the floor and rediscover old treasures. And besides...if they were all hanging up, I'd have to dust them.

Are you obsessed with certain objects or themes? What do YOU collect?

No comments:

Post a Comment