7/28/10

Wiser and Tougher

When the tough get going...well, you know the phrase. Me, I sometimes take a nosedive first, then pick up the pieces until the toughness returns. Once it does though, goals begin to appear through the fog once more.

In my yet-to-be-published novel writing guide, I wrote a section about timing. I fear sometimes I struggle to take my own advice. I wind up getting excited about the future and I want to see what God has in store NOW. Unfortunately, He doesn’t normally work that way.

When it comes to writing, sometimes my goals become blurred. It might be my own lack of confidence, or it might be me trying to strive for things that may bring me glory here, but would not make God any happier with me than He is now. Then, somewhere out of the blue, I receive a gentle reminder (sometimes it feels more like a whack upside the head) that God’s plans are bigger than this – He sees what I cannot, He is the one that guides me and it is for Him that I should be writing, not for fame or fortune.

I recently experienced several disappointments and struggled to maintain a firm grip on my love of writing. It seemed my goals were slipping from my grasp. But when I really stopped to think about it, I realized that what I thought were my goals really weren’t. I had simply become sidetracked.

Now I pick up the pieces and move on, a little wiser and maybe a little tougher. In the end, it really is God’s timing and that is something I can’t change, but can only learn to embrace.

No comments:

Post a Comment