8/2/10

Pains of Change

It's August, folks. Each time a new month rolls around, I wonder where the last one went. July went by in such a rush that I can hardly remember what has happened the last four weeks.

The turning of months makes me think of change. I recently wrote a nice little short story about change and how it can be good and something to look forward to. Unfortunately, it did not describe me! I fight change kicking and screaming the whole way. I've never liked changed and I dare say I never will.

But...

Liking or not liking it isn't the point. It's how I deal with it that's the main thing. I can stomp my feet, yell and scream and shake my fist in the air, but it's not going to modify the situation at all. The only thing it might accomplish is a rise in my blood pressure.

Learning to be still and rely on God while amidst change (good or bad) seems a daunting task. But with each day that passes, I try my best to gain ground on that goal. Sometimes change isn't good and attitudes need to morph so that we can accept what's happening and deal with it. Sometimes change is necessary, even if it's painful. Sometimes change is directly from God when He's trying to steer us in a new direction for His purposes.

I need to remember this more often, even in relation to my writing. Perhaps when I meet those brick walls, something needs to change, whether it's content, perspective or direction. But I need not worry about where that change will take me, because in the end, I'll still be writing for the Lord, and that is the whole point, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment