11/21/14

Heaven-Sent Chocolate


Yesterday I received a sign. And it was a glorious one at that. Who wouldn't want proof that chocolate is indeed a helpful instrument during one's workday?

I'd decided to give myself a treat. It was one of those days. You know the kind. All I wanted was to stuff that glorious peanut butter cup in my mouth and savor every delectable moment. I was already fighting to keep from drooling.

As I tore into the foolproof orange package that resisted every gentle attempt at separating the edges glued with cement, my impatience overcame me. I felt a Hulk-ish rage inside of me as I growled and threw all of my arm muscles into the task.

Unfortunately, it was just a tiny bit too much force.

The Reeses cup flew out of that package like lemur who'd just sat on a thumbtack. Only later did I realize that perhaps the candy knew all along what it was doing, and that perhaps it was not by my might at all that it had slingshot itself from its airtight confines.

When the cup landed, it chose a very specific spot on my computer's keyboard (yes, I eat at my desk). The "help" button. And it landed at such an angle with such precise force that it pushed the button, opening up my current application's help screen.

It was during that very moment of hearing a choir of angels somewhere in the distance, I realized this hunk of chocolate, peanut butter and 8,954 calories truly was sent to help me in conquering my day.

I refuse to think my energy after devouring my treat was due to the amount of sugar I'd just consumed. Instead, I choose to believe my heaven-sent candy miraculously gave me a mental and physical boost to propel me through what continued to be quite a day.

In the end, I was victorious. All because I'd chosen a Reeses peanut butter cup as my snack.

I've never had an apple land on my keyboard's "help" button. Just saying.


No comments:

Post a Comment