12/1/14

CHRISTmas Arrogance - Part 1

As I write this, it is Thanksgiving day. It’s the day I start my Christmas decorating, my viewing of classic Christmas films, and really start enjoying Christmas music. I admit it – I can’t wait any longer. It took all the willpower I had not to put up my tree earlier this week. (Don’t judge – I haven’t forgotten the importance of Thanksgiving or thinking on all the things for which I’m thankful – I just get excited about the whole holiday season.) I love this day because it’s Thanksgiving, and because it’s the beginning of my Christmas celebration. Two holidays wrapped up in one.

But as I consider my own Christmas traditions and what it all means to me, I’m faced with several contradictions in our current culture and belief system. I started to write about one, then realized it really boiled down to three major issues:

     • Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays

     • Celebrating Christ vs. Celebrating the Season

     • The Celebration vs. The Blame

And I really can’t write about all three in one post. So today, I’m going to tackle the first point. Later, I’ll post the other two.


Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays. It’s the same argument every year. It’s the rants on Facebook, the emails you must forward, and the unwavering opinion of Christians everywhere that CHRIST is the reason for Christmas, therefore, no one should dare say “Happy Holidays” (and those who do are simply revealing their heathen hearts).

I get it. I’m a Christian. I understand and appreciate Christmas services at church, reading again the story from the Bible of how and where Jesus was born, and being reminded of the importance of the event. If Jesus hadn’t been born, He wouldn’t have lived then died for my sins – indeed, there is reason to celebrate.

But who am I to force my beliefs on the next person? Sure, I want to share the Good News, and give them the opportunity to have a relationship with Christ. Of course! But why in the world would I get offended by someone wishing me “Happy Holidays” instead of “Merry Christmas”? Good grief! I should just be glad that they want me to be happy this holiday season. Just because they don’t say “Christmas” (which isn’t even pronounced “Christ” anyway) is no reason to gripe, growl, complain – or even slap on a smile and pointedly return, “And a Merry Christmas to you!” That doesn’t do anything but show them how arrogant I am to think my kind of celebration this time of year is more valid than theirs.

Don’t get me wrong – I’m not saying not to greet people with a “Merry Christmas.” I do it for several reasons – it’s the Christmas season, I celebrate Christmas, and I hope theirs is a merry one. But the second I wish someone a “Merry Christmas” just to make a point is the same second I join the world in arrogance – it’s the same second I join everyone else in thinking my way is better than theirs. If they’re going to offend me with their stupid “Happy Holidays” then I’m going to offend THEM by wishing them a “Merry Christmas.” Take that!

Even if I’m not being arrogant about it, but I’m still trying to make a point, it totally contradicts the whole purpose of my personal celebration. If I’m celebrating Christ, I should be acting like Him. And while He was very good at making points, I’m not so sure He’d use the name of a holiday to try and make one of those points. I’m not sure He’d boycott major retailers who require their staff to say, “Happy Holidays.” (Does refusing to buy something somewhere really prove to them we’re different, or does it just make us look like jerks?) I’m not so sure Jesus would make such a big deal over the name of Christmas, when the meaning behind it can be so much more important.

I’m not saying to compromise beliefs or join in activities that are wrong.  I AM saying that actions speak louder than words. If you celebrate Christ during the Christmas season, then let it show through your actions. Through your giving. Through your love. Be different. And when someone wishes you “Happy Holidays,” don’t be offended – that’s ridiculous. Return a “Merry Christmas” if you wish, but do it because that’s the holiday you celebrate, not as an attempt to outdo the other person or make a point.


I love hearing from you! Feel free to leave your thoughts in a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment