10/24/14

God's-eye View

This is just a fun little piece taken from Smatterings of an Analytical Loner for this October Friday.

I remember when I originally wrote this, it was very fun because of both the perspective of the tiny main character, and my enjoyment of autumn.


God's-eye View

Weeee! The thrill! The excitement! Oh my, the drop! The wind rushing by my face, the cool, scented air tickling my nose... There’s nothing like it in the world!

Crawling out to that thin ledge, I looked down, down, down. It seemed to go on for miles. I almost didn’t have the guts to go through with it. Oh, but the thought of soaring high on the breeze was enough to make my antennas twitch.

I latched onto that dry leaf as if a hurricane was coming. I thought we’d never take off. But one good gust of wind, and whoosh! Away we went, I and that ruby red maple leaf.

I know, leaves aren’t something to toy with. They can pile up and bury an ant like me if he’s not careful. But riding one like this? I’ve never felt so alive.

Up, up, up, higher and higher towards the sky we went. I gazed down on rolling fields, rich and golden, bare of harvested crops. There were orchards filled with rows upon rows of luscious green apples. The fragrances were like no other. It was as if the season was suddenly condensed and wrapped up in a tiny package just for me. My mouth watered at the thought of spicy cider.

I flew over a pumpkin patch and dreamt of sliding down those prickly vines. Indian corn hung from someone’s porch - a perfect place for hide and seek. Mmm, I think I smelled a pumpkin pie.

My eyes became slits as the leaf picked up speed, rushing over a crystal brook. I gazed down upon trees of gold, bronze and orange. Some looked as though they had been set ablaze as their red leaves boldly proclaimed their beauty against the sun.

The magic carpet I clung to so tightly took me above the forests, over meadows and through streets that rang of children’s laughter as they ran through piles of their own leaves. I ducked, barely missing the branch of an old oak.

Spinning around and around, the world became a kaleidoscope of browns, yellows and tufts of stubborn greens. And finally...finally, the ride began to slow. My nerves were racing. I could hardly catch my breath. Grasping the edge of my leaf, I guided the aircraft to the edge of a wide open meadow where locusts and crickets sang their final songs.

The world seemed so still as I finally stopped. Looking over my shoulder, my eyes could see only the tall grass towering in front of me. But spying a tree just a few hundred yards away, I could swear I saw another leaf just starting to fall. Maybe I could make it in time. God’s view of autumn was worth a second go.




I love hearing from you! Feel free to leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment