12/18/10

Why do you write? Money vs. Purpose

Thankfully, I have a full-time job that pays my bills. I have, however, dreamed of one day being able to make a living off my writing. Couldn't I just write one best-seller novel? I start to salivate just thinking about it. Unfortunately, the more I dwell on that thought, the more that same old pride comes sneaking in through the back door.

Whether looking at my books or my shorter pieces, people often ask me if I'm making money off of my writing. And I have to admit that sometimes it's hard for me to tell them no, I barely make enough to buy myself lunch at Burger King every once in a while. I have a full-time job for a reason.

I can hardly imagine what it would be like to make money on my writing. But whenever I let myself focus on the income, the same thing always happens - my true purpose becomes clouded. Suddenly I "have" to write instead of wanting to. Suddenly I'm trying to make a buck instead of trying to inspire someone. Sure, I love receiving a royalty check! But should it be my goal?

"For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil." I know a lot of people might take that Bible verse to the extreme, but that's not my point. (I'm also not in any way trying to knock professional writers. That's fantastic that they can make a living off their writing - kudos to them! If it weren't for them, we wouldn't have much to read!) For someone like me, who has been blessed with financial income by another means, wanting to make money from my writing can really start to steer me in the wrong direction. I begin to be frustrated when something isn't published. Or I might be frustrated if it is published but with no compensation. My want for money breeds frustration which breeds dissatisfaction. Then where is God? I've lost sight of Him and His reason for giving me the gift of writing in the first place.

When money is the focus, the real purpose, for me, is lost. I no longer write for my readers but I write for myself. My motive becomes a selfish one, resulting in dissatisfaction in my own writings, stress and lack of passion.

I realize that for some, writing IS their main source of income, and if they can make it work, more power to them. For me though, as long as God is taking care of me through other means, my writing can't become the bread-winner, lest I fall prey to greed.

My purpose is to write. Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment