12/3/14

CHRISTmas Arrogance - Part 2

Celebrating Christ vs. Celebrating the Season. 

It’s interesting how Christians bend and twist a holiday to fit their own level of involvement in order to ease their guilt. Let’s make sure we always call it “CHRISTmas” instead of a “Holiday” so we can feel better about celebrating.

Really?


Here’s the thing. Whether we (Bible-believers) like it or not, “Christmas” in our day and age and culture IS a secular holiday. Did you know that Christians chose this time of year to celebrate, simply to combat other pagan holidays? We shout from the rooftops that it’s Jesus’ birthday, when in reality, His birth probably didn’t happen anywhere near December 25th. Besides all that, we are never even told in the Bible to remember/celebrate Jesus’ birth – only His death. We connect all our little silly traditions to Jesus, just to ease our guilt for partaking in something that really has nothing to do with God.

Christmas trees, lights, exchanging gifts and singing Christmas carols – all can be connected in some way to the Bible if we really want to stretch it, but in reality, they have nothing to do with Jesus being born. But we would never want to be compared to the rest of the world, right? We would never want to be associated with heathens. So when we put a blow-up snowman in the yard, it’s because we’re celebrating the birth of Jesus?

That said, is there anything really wrong with celebrating the holiday season just for the sake of celebration? Why do we have to connect it back to the Bible? As always, I’m not saying to compromise beliefs, or partake in activities that are unpleasing to God. But why should we feel guilty about setting up a string of lights for no reason other than we think it’s pretty? I get it that a long time ago there were some people who worshipped decorated trees like idols – but that doesn’t mean when I put up a Christmas tree and delight in something pretty that I am involving myself in idol worshipping. On the contrary, all I’m doing is reveling in memories and taking pleasure in being creative with colored lights, cute ornaments and sparkly garland. (Yes, some people skew the holiday season to satisfy their greed, but that doesn’t mean I have to throw out my proverbial baby just because they made the bath water dirty.)

In my personal life, this season carries with it two reasons to celebrate: The birth of Christ, and the holiday itself. I have separated them, because in all reality, my lights, tree, wreathes, and even gift-giving have no direct relation to Jesus being born. I love the whole peace-joy-love-giving message of the season – but again, though it’s a biblical concept, even the secular world takes part in encouraging such attitudes and behaviors. I love making treats to give away, watching my family open gifts I’ve wrapped, and enjoying the scrumptious cookies and dipped pretzels that automatically come along with the holiday. Once more – all those things have nothing to do with the birth of Jesus. That doesn’t automatically make them wrong. I just can’t justify those things by claiming they are directly connected to the celebration of God’s Son being born.

I celebrate Jesus (whether it be His birth, life, death or miraculous resurrection) by following His commands and trying every day to act like He wants me to act. I celebrate Him during this part of winter by taking advantage of the holiday as an opportunity to talk about Him while others may be more apt to have open minds/hearts.

I celebrate “Christmas” by enjoying decorations, gift-buying/giving, yummy treats, and the smiles on others’ faces. I celebrate the secular holiday for what it is – an excuse to get together with folks, gift gifts (when it would be weird any other time of the year),  and put up pretty decorations.

Enjoy the season for what it is, and enjoy the gift we have through Christ. Let’s not bend the holiday just to make a point or satisfy our need to be “better” than the world. Besides, Jesus came for the whole world, not just “us.”

(Did you miss Part 1? Read it here.)

Do you celebrate Christmas? If so, why? I love hearing from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment