5/26/13

Emotional Storm

I looked out my window this evening to view dark rainclouds in the distance. I heard the sweet sound of rolling thunder and watched flashes of lightning. As a fan of thunderstorms, I was rather disappointed the system remained south. While enjoying the view though, I suddenly had the urge to write about it. Something. Anything. Maybe a poem. Maybe just a short ramble about what it was like. And then I realized...I was enjoying it so much, that I wasn't sure I could adequately put into words what the storm really did to me deep down.

That scenario has happened to me a lot. Sometimes I'd rather dismiss writing my feelings altogether because I believe I simply cannot write those emotions for which there are no words.Yet it's those very same times that if I do make the attempt, a very well-written piece has the potential of being born.

Whether it's a thunderstorm in the sky or a thunderstorm of the heart, emotions churn below the surface. They writhe under the pen, relentlessly clawing their way to the surface. It's those emotions that draw readers in. Grasp their hearts. It's those emotions that have the power to conjure tears or invoke laughter. They connect the writer to the readers. They make the reader feel whole. Human. Vulnerable. Powerful.

One cannot fear penning their emotions. For it is those very emotions that create a piece worth reading.

I looked out my window this evening to view dark rainclouds in the distance. I felt, for a moment, they mirrored my heart. The sun pierced the sky to warm the wall of clouds, but it only made them appear darker, just as laughter by another has the ability to inflict pain when falling upon a wounded soul.

Thunder rumbled like a far-off freight train collision and wind whipped through the trees with the speed of venomous serpents. My breath was taken away at the sheer beauty of the scene. It was a storm that pleased the eye yet had the power to destroy those in its path. I found myself longing to stand in its midst and feel the rain pelt my skin. I wanted to feel the wind and hear the thunder so close that it might bring deafness to my ears. So often in life, the intangible wreaks havoc - I wanted to feel the tangible, if only to be reminded that I'm alive. That even though my soul was numb, my body could still feel and prove that life still flowed through my veins.

The thunder grew distant, and I pried myself from the window. 


No comments:

Post a Comment