5/22/11

Goals

So far this year, I've thought about goals more than any time else. Maybe it's because we often talk about goals at my Taekwondo classes and it's sometimes the theme of the month. Or maybe it's because my goals have shifted or changed directions lately. Still, goals have always been a difficult thing for me. For without a goal, I cannot fail. Yet without a goal, I lose forward momentum.

I think that's one of the things that has held me back in my writing as of late. Oh, I've still been writing and haven't come anywhere near to ceasing - but it has been much slower. My desire has been there but motivation has not. Ideas have been there, but the will has not. Perhaps it is not a lack of inspiration as I have blamed, but rather a lack of goals.

Recently, I sent out the first query letter in a very long time. It felt good. That one small act has motivated me to finish not only the work about which I queried, but other works too. The goal of having another book published has given me a fresh outlook, new ideas and enthusiasm.

Without goals, forward momentum ceases.

For me, goals can sometimes be intimidating. Sometimes it's easier not to have goals so that I'll never face the possibility of failure. But at the same time, if I never try, I'll never know how far I could have gone. The trick is knowing which goals are attainable and which goals should wait.

My goals for the near future are to finish three of my large writing projects. That is attainable. My next goal? To see them in print. Whether it's by a traditional publisher or self-publishing, that remains to be seen. But no matter, I am confident that I will see them in print if I maintain these two simple goals. After that? Who knows? But without these goals in mind, I'd never move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment