10/28/10

Writing doesn't have to be lonely.

Just home from my monthly meeting with the Southwest Iowa Writers Guild. Always a pleasure. I'll admit, sometimes it's difficult convincing myself it's worth it. I get home, I'm tired, I haven't written anything I deem worthwhile, and I have a short stack of pieces from other guild members that I've been meaning to critique for four weeks - not exactly the most inspirational setting. But every time I go, I'm reminded of why I'm a member.

I didn't used to think that being a part of a writers' group was important. I figured that if I got positive feedback on my writings from a few sources that I was good to go. And maybe I could still succeed that way, but I'd be missing out. I'd be missing out on the simple one-on-one interaction with people who share some of the same passions as I do. I'd be missing out on the fun of discussing new ideas and delving into the "whys" of writing. I'd be missing out on giving my fellow members pats on the backs for their accomplishments. I'd be missing out on sharing my writings with people who understand the time and effort it took.

Being a part of a club or a guild or a critique circle isn't a must when it comes to being a writer. I'm not exactly what you'd call a "people person" and groups of people, well... they're just not my thing. But I love my guild. We're a small, diverse group, all of whom are at different stages of life. But we all have the common ground of being writers. That's what makes it worth it, to me. That's why I cram in the last minute work before I rush off to the meetings. That's why I go, even if I didn't come up with anything to share that month.

If you're a writer and you're plugged in to a group like I am, I'm happy for you. If you're not, I hope you will find the opportunity to be! Writing doesn't have to be lonely.

No comments:

Post a Comment